Trappist Beer, but Tynt Belgian...

For a beer to be called ‘Trappist’ it must be brewed in a monastery, by monks. There are only 14 beers in the entire world made this way. 8 of them are, as you may expect, in Belgium/Netherlands. Of the remaining 6 scattered across the globe, one of them is actually made in England, and only since 2018.


Tynt Meadow English Trappist Ale is brewed by the Cistercian monks at Mount Saint Bernard Abbey in Leicestershire. I only became aware of this beer at all because the abbey started liking some of my posts on Instagram - photos of other Belgian Trappist beers I have enjoyed. When I found out they too made similar beer (and were only an hour and a half away) myself and The Good Lady 'La Professoressa' Her Indoors had to go.


It’s a suitably pastoral and peaceful location in the National Forest area outside Coalville, up at quite a height for such a flat county, and with gritstone rock formations in the grounds and nearby - well worth a walk around. They produce excellent pottery (made by Brother Martin, who welcomed us cheerily in his overalls on arrival at the gift shop), honey and chocolate as well as their highly regarded beer. We took a blind punt on a case of twelve bottles without even trying it first.


We weren't disappointed. It’s a strongish (7.4%) dark and rich ale, both in keeping with the other more established Belgian classics, whilst having a definite character of its own. To my highly untrained palate there was some crossover with Westmalle Dubbel, Orval (there is the tiniest hint of sour effervescence) and even the liquorice tang of St. Feuillien. But most surprising was the comforting feel of a rich, strong chocolate/coffee stout or porter.


I’ve already gone through half of the bottles, and when the others run out I shall definitely return. It’s not an easy beer to get hold of, but it’s special on many levels, and buying it whilst visiting in person is highly recommended providing you live a reasonable distance away.


This may well be my new favourite beer.


https://mountsaintbernardshop.org/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arggh technology is against me ! I tried to comment on the YouTube community page & it won’t let me
Very interesting visit Rich I shall have to pop in when I’m next up that way also wondered if this article would be of any interest to you https://buildingcatholicculture.com/brewing-monks-a-list-of-the-worlds-monastic-beers/
Regards Mick ( hackneeey)
It also won’t let me log in on this page 😳

Anonymous said...

Cheers Mick. That site looks comprehensive and interesting indeed, right up my straat! Your comment has appeared on YouTube too so thanks for that. Yep if you are nearby I think you’d like it. Let me know how you get on if you do! Cheers for reading and commenting mate. Rich 👍

Anonymous said...

Great review Rich, wasn't aware there were there were Trappist Monks in the UK I always remember the great beers in Belgium when I was sent on a two week training session for a previous printing company I worked for, Duvall was popular at the time.
All the best Dave Thorley

Cotton Bud Media said...

Thanks for reading Dave. Yeah Duvel is a cracking drop, although dangerously and deceptively strong... been caught out before now! I must admit I couldn't quite believe there was a proper monastery at the end of the A50 when I first heard about it but there really is! Now, I've just got to work out how to get a crate on the Vespa... Cheers. Rich