My Dream Tent, A Clean Vespa, and Another Trip to The Peak


March 29th 2019 


Well less than a week after my last post and I've been out again. What prompted it was a very, very rash decision - on Wednesday I took the plunge and bought my dream tent, arguably amongst the best one man tents money can buy - the Hilleberg Soulo. In tent terms, it's an Aston Martin, it's hard to get posher. Or more expensive...

I really can't afford it and will be paying the debt off for months, but I hope it will be worth it. It means I'm ready for most of what the UK weather can throw at me in terms of a shelter, and can go on the sort of trips that Rich Dytch goes on with minimal faff - hopefully with the man himself before too long (it is now 6 months since my first wild camp with him).

I also spent all Tuesday evening de-wintering the Vespa, and giving her a good clean. Filled with the joys of spring, I rode out to a place in The Peak less than an hour away on Wednesday evening for a recce of a potential spot, based mainly on a couple of Youtube vids from wild camping legend Dean Read (check out his Youtube channel if you haven't already). I liked the idea of going straight from work, on Friday. especially as the spell of fine weather was not set to last past Saturday morning.

The recce was very successful, the tent itself arrived next day, and I was packed up and ready to go on Friday, looking at the weather out of the window, itching to get off when 4pm arrived.

I decided to make more of an effort with video, rather than mainly taking photos for once. The result is a 22 minute Youtube vid. So, in the spirit of what film critic Mark Kermode calls 'show, don't tell', I'm going to stop writing now and let the pictures tell you all the rest...



© Rich Lane 2019

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea but I value my GTS and would feel a bit unsure in leaving it at a layby

Cotton Bud Media said...

Oh dear, how sad to have a wonderful, powerful vehicle that can only ever take you out for the day, or to places where there is a garage.. :(

This is my only vehicle anyway (I've never owned a car - how would you feel leaving one of those in a layby, car park - anywhere?) so I don't have much choice - other than not camping. The Vespa is precious to me, but it's there for a reason - to get places.

It's a LOT safer in a remote layby than outside a London house anyway.

Malcolm J said...

Nice video. Shame all the money spent on the tent couldnt be used on the video. No CGI, explosions, aerial shots?? :P

the original source said...

Your article is very helpful for me, I will follow your instruction. Thank you.